Thursday, February 18, 2010

Can't I kick off my shoes?





















Boyfriend: Are those the flip flops you wore the other day?




Me: No, those are different ones.




Boyfriend: I can tell.




Me: What do yo mean?




Boyfriends: These one are much nicer. They look more put-together.




Me: (silence...followed by 20 minutes of monosyllabic reponses)



I realize that this confusing response makes me look bitchy, if not crazy. My boyfriend just noticed my shoes and complimented them. But last time I checked, the whole point of wearing flip flops was to relax from being "put-together." The idea of put-together flip flops  is nonsensical like low fat butter.

Now, I don't believe women should have to look flawless every day. And god knows I look borderline homeless at least two days out of the week. But like men who wish they never had an "off night," most women I know wish they could always be put together--effortless not just in their looks, but with the sense of composure it's supposed to reflect.

So while my sweet, unassuming boyfriend thought he was paying me a compliment, he was actually reminding me that he notices my off days--the tired sandals or the fuzzy flannel; my harried demeanor or my muddled thoughts. And frankly, he likes the days I'm crisp in suit and spirit.

But who am I to point fingers? I just told the man to go the bathroom and shave.


3 comments:

  1. Love is when someone sees you in your trashy flip-flops but still is willing to be seen in public with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like that time I wore a turban and you stood by my side?

    ReplyDelete